Jacksonville Marital Asset Division Attorney
Each state has a specific set of rules concerning the division of property after a divorce. The law in Florida requires a fair division of property — and debt — between the spouses. Jacksonville marital asset division attorney is knowledgeable in all aspects of Florida law addressing such equitable distributions.
Florida judges have final say over the distribution of marital assets and debts. In Florida, “equitable” is generally understood to mean “equal.” Factors for equitable distribution include:
- Duration of the marriage
- Economic circumstances
- Interruption to career or educational of either spouse
- Contributions to the marriage by each spouse including staying at home to care for children
- Contributions by one spouse to the career or educational enhancement of the other spouse
- Contributions to improving marital or non-marital assets by either spouse
- Liabilities incurred by either spouse, whether affecting martial or non-marital assets
- The intentional reduction or destruction of marital assets by either spouse
Our marital asset division lawyer in Jacksonville FL is expert at providing relevant information to the court so that your financial future is protected.
Only marital assets are considered when a couple divorces. Marital assets include:
- All assets acquired, both separately and together, during the marriage
- Pension, profit-sharing, annuity, deferred compensation, and insurance plans and programs
The Jacksonville marital asset division attorneys can explain in detail the differences between marital and non-marital assets so that your interests in each category are protected.
Marital asset division lawyers in Jacksonville FL understand there are circumstances that make it difficult to divide certain assets, such as an enterprise started by one spouse or the marital home, and can offer solutions.
Jacksonville marital asset division attorneys assist you in valuing marital debt as well as marital property. Such things as mortgages, car loans, and credit card debts are distributed equitably between divorcing spouses. Jacksonville marital asset division lawyers are diligent in presenting all assets and debts so there are no post-divorce surprises.
Begin the Process
When you realize that divorce is inevitable, contact our marital asset division attorney in Jacksonville FL to protect your financial base.