Select Page

Jacksonville Grandparent Visitation Attorney

What Visitation Rights Do Florida Grandparents Have?

A Jacksonville grandparent visitation attorney works on behalf of grandparents who seek the right to have contact with their grandchildren. Over the years, Florida law has gradually diminished those rights, giving parents more control over who has access to their children.

However, there are certain cases in which one or both parents are not able to be in the child’s life or have a detrimental and possibly dangerous influence on the child. In these cases, the presence of grandparents in a child’s life can be essential to a healthy, happy upbringing.

In July 2015, a grandparent rights bill was signed into law by Florida’s governor. Under the current law, grandparents may be granted visitation rights without parental permission under the following circumstances:

  • If both of the child’s parents are dead, missing, or in a persistent vegetative state
  • If one of the child’s parents is any of the above and the other has been convicted of a felony or is otherwise determined to be unfit

How Can Florida Grandparents Seek Visitation Rights?

Under the current law, a grandparent can file a petition for visitation which will be considered by the court. That’s where an experienced Jacksonville grandparent visitation attorney can be essential.

Despite recent advances in grandparent visitation rights, the conditions under which they’re granted are still narrow. That’s why it’s essential to have an experienced Jacksonville grandparent visitation lawyer by your side to make a compelling case to the court.

In a state that has one of the largest populations of grandparents in the country, a grandparent visitation attorney in Jacksonville FL has an important responsibility.

What if Your Grandchildren Are in Another State?

State laws regarding grandparents’ rights vary significantly throughout the country. Many states have more lenient laws that allow grandparents to petition for visitation rights under less stringent conditions than in Florida. If your grandchild lives or moves out-of-state, your grandparent visitation lawyer in Jacksonville FL can help put you find an attorney in that state.

Schedule a Consultation Today

Call us or contact us online to schedule an appointment with our Jacksonville grandparent visitation attorney. We’d like to help you take whatever legal steps are possible to remain part of your grandchild’s life.